Photo credit: Kevin Winter/Getty Images
While hosting the American Music Awards for the second year in a row, Tracee Ellis Ross decided to put on for the culture and feature Black designers in all of her looks for both the red carpet and the show. The 45-year-old actress told Essence, "When you have a platform, especially in the times that we're in, it's important to use it to shine light on the directions you believe in. And I believe in Black people. I love Black people."
Check out all the Black designers that she highlighted throughout the show below.
1. Pyer Moss suit by Kerby Jean-Raymond
2. Gucci overcoat by Dapper Dan
3. Sequin Gold Dress by CD Green
4. Skirt and shoes by Shanel Campbell and Aminah Abdul Jillil
5. Pink Tulle Dress by Virgil Abloh's Off-White
6. Bodysuit, Belt, Gloves and Beret by Sergio Hudson
7. Red and Blue Patterned Gown by Claude Lavie Kameni
8. Balmain Tuxedo Dress by Olivier Rousteing
9. Suit, earring and brooch by DÈSHON
10. Red Jumpsuit by Carly Cushnie
When asked Essence asked Ellis-Ross what her word of encouragement to young Black girls would be, she said:
"I love you. I see you. May you know your power. May you discover the story that you have to tell. May you trust in the truth of your experience as a building block for the medicine that you have to give. And remember, some of the designers I wore tonight were also little Black girls that may have needed a pick me up or a word of encouragement. So never stop thinking that anything is possible. Because it’s all possible. With work and faith."
We couldn't agree more. Thank you Tracee for using your platform to celebrate the culture.